Friday, August 26, 2011

The story of my name W5 Homework - Ronald Delgado


I didn´t understand why do I have an American name if I live in a Latin American country, it is not a good idea to name children with foreign names. In my case, there was very common forty or fifty years ago, that the father used to name the children, not the mother.

Ronald was a name that liked to a very close friend of my father, well, that was the story that my mother told me about my name. I don´t really like my name, many of my friends call me Ronaldo, or Ronaldinho and I understand that, because it is very easy for Latin American speakers finishing the names in vowels, not in consonant different of “n” and “s”.

I didn´t mistake with the name of my children, Maria del Mar, Camila and Sofia; they are a very Latin names, and I really like them.

I don´t know how, but in my wife family, all the names are American or European names, may be cause some of them are Jehovah's Witnesses, that is the reason that I suppose. I hate that custom. I prefer the names according with the culture where you are coming from.

“Ronald meaning and name origin

Ronald \r(o)-na-ld\ as a boy's name is pronounced RAH-nald. It is of Old Norse origin, and the meaning of Ronald is "ruler's counselor". Also possibly from the same root as Reginald and Reynold. Ronald emerged among the Scots, and was not widely used in the rest of the English-speaking world until the end of the 19th century. Ranald is a Scottish form, Ronaldo is Spanish. American President Ronald Reagan; clown Ronald McDonald.

Ronald has 12 variant forms: Ranald, Renaldo, Ron, Ronal, Ronaldo, Rondale, Roneld, Ronell, Ronello, Ronn, Ronnie and Ronny.”

http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/1/Ronald


If I had to invent a name for my alter-ego, I would choose Pedro Pablo, wonderful, isn´t it?

2 comments:

  1. Haha, interesting post!

    First of all, why "Pedro Pablo"?

    Secondly, I think I'd mostly agree with you about foreign names. You should see Juan Jose's post about his name, and see his ideas for possible children's names. Would you have any advice for him?

    I can't remember if you said if you have any siblings but if so, do they have Anglicized names?

    Why don't you just say your name is "Ronaldo"? Wouldn't that solve your problem most of the time?

    Thanks again for the nice post. See you tomorrow,
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like Latin names, I think the name “Pedro Pablo” has two popular and interesting names, bible names; they sound very hard, and give an idea of power, probably if you meet someone with this name, you´ll be surprise after the experience. Haha…

    But one of my sister has a very rare name, Fremioth, it sounds very funny, but I don´t like to tell her the name, I prefer Noni, so I call her….haha

    ReplyDelete